Vumatel

Our Vumatel stake is not for sale – CIVH

Industry sources have informed MyBroadband that Vodacom remains interested in buying a stake in Vumatel, but it may not be simple to achieve. Vodacom was previously in discussions to buy Vumatel, but according to industry sources it could not conclude a deal with the company. In June 2018, CIVH announced that it bought 34.9% of Vumatel, with plans to acquire the remaining 65.1% – subject to funding and regulatory approvals. CIVH

2018 MyBroadband Fibre Conference – Photos

The 2018 MyBroadband Fibre Conference took place at The Venue in Melrose Arch on Wednesday and was attended by 230 executives who work in the fibre industry. The conference provided the South African fibre industry with a platform to share ideas, discuss developments and challenges, and network. The event attracted the country’s top fibre and telecoms experts as speakers, which included executives from Vodacom, SEACOM, Openserve, Siatik, and CipherWave. The

Vodacom and Remgro interested in buying Vumatel

CIV Holdings is in discussions to acquire Vumatel, which has built one of the largest open access fibre networks in South Africa, according to industry sources. In March 2018, Bloomberg reported that Remgro was in advanced talks to buy Vumatel as part of its strategy to consolidate the country’s expanding broadband infrastructure industry. MyBroadband has now learnt from sources that a potential acquisition of Vumatel will happen through CIV Holdings.

The Parkhurst Vumatel project changed everything in South Africa

The Parkhurst Residents and Business Owners Association awarded a bid to install fibre in their neighbourhood to a little-known company called Vumatel in 2014. This unassuming move radically changed South Africa’s broadband market. For years, telecommunications infrastructure providers in South Africa had slowly been rolling out fibre-to-the-home, where they said it made financial sense to do so. Parkhurst showed that the models being used to determine this financial feasibility were

Vumatel rolling out in Alexandra will kill DStv market share

As fibre broadband rolls out to South Africa’s townships, people will switch away from satellite TV services to online platforms like Netflix. This is according to DStv research, which shows that once someone makes the switch to an online subscription video service, they don’t go back to satellite TV. MultiChoice South Africa CEO Calvo Mawela said there is no doubt that the future of pay TV is online, which is

Niel Schoeman steps down as Vumatel CEO

Vumatel has announced that Dietlof Mare will join the company as its new CEO. Niel Schoeman, the current CEO of Vumatel, will step into the role of Executive Chairman. “This provides Schoeman with the capacity required to focus on the pioneering and transformational projects which Vuma has become known for,” said the company. “These projects include closing the digital divide and building smarter, safer cities, all which are critical for South

Vumatel’s 100Mbps township fibre project has started

Vumatel has completed the planning for the first phase of its fibre network build for Alexandra, and is waiting on the required regulatory approvals. Announced in September 2017, Vumatel initially hoped to have completed construction of the first phase by the end of March 2018. “Surveying and planning for the rollout have taken longer than anticipated, given the complexity of the geography of Alexandra,” Vumatel told MyBroadband. As a result,